Wags

Langwell



Ackergill cemetery

Symbol stones

Monastic sites

Key Sites

Religion and Ritual

Within the rich archaeological landscape at Forse lie two wags (ND 204352). The complex site was excavated between 1939 and 1948. The wags were built from stone robbed from earlier buildings of which the wags now obscure. One of the wags lies on top of a roundhouse; another stands further west. The latter is 12 m long and has the remains of two rows of upright pillars which would have supported the roof. Lintels bridged the gap between wall and pillar allowing the area to be roofed with flagstones.

Back to Priests and Picts

Wag of Forse

All content © Caithness Archaeological Trust 2004

unless otherwise stated