Key Sites

Oldwick

Buchollie

Castle Sinclair

Back to Clans and Castles

Mey

George, 4th Earl of Caithness, built the royal castle of Mey (ND290739) between 1566 and 1772. In 1789 the Mey family, on the extinction of the senior line, succeeded to the earldom, and the castle became the seat of the Earldom until 1889. George, the 15th Earl, left the estates to a stranger, separating the castle from the Earldom. The castle is famous for being the northern home of the late Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, who bought the castle in 1952.

All content © Caithness Archaeological Trust 2004

unless otherwise stated