Flagstone

Key Sites

Fishing

Churches

Freswick dovecot

Badbea village

Whalegoe



Berriedale

Reay Kirk

Farming

Castletown

Harbour development in Caithness reached its peak in the 19th century. Quays and piers were soundly made storehouses constructed. Lybster harbour (ND 244348) is a fine example, built in 1849 at the expense of the Duke of Portland. So rapid was the growth of activity at the harbour that in 1817 Lybster was officially recognised as a fishing station.

Back to Industry and Enterprise

Lybster

All content © Caithness Archaeological Trust 2004

unless otherwise stated