Flagstone

Key Sites

Fishing

Churches

Freswick dovecot

Badbea village

Whalegoe

Lybster


Reay Kirk

Farming

Castletown

In the early 19th century many parishioners lived great distances away from churches, leading to the financing and building of relief churches by Parliament. Thomas Telford designed 2 churches with their manses in Caithness, at Keiss and at Berriedale (ND121233). At Berriedale the landowner, James Horne of Langwell, gave his land in 1826 for the construction of a Telford T-Plan 'Parliamentary' design.

Back to Industry and Enterprise

Berriedale

All content © Caithness Archaeological Trust 2004

unless otherwise stated